Spicy Lentil Turmeric Egg-White Scramble
Master an egg-white scramble for those times when you need a break from meat or rich food. Lentils boost the protein, and turmeric and ginger contribute spice. Pour yourself a glass of Chenin Blanc + Viognier and pat yourself on the back for being so virtuous.
4 teaspoons coconut oil
3 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
2 cups cooked lentils
2/3 cup thawed and drained frozen spinach or finely chopped fresh spinach
8 large eggs, whisked
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons butter or ghee
Fresh chervil sprigs (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan over high heat. Stir in the turmeric. This will allow the spice to release its flavor into the oil.
2. Add the ginger and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
3. Reduce the heat to medium, add the lentils and spinach, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the whisked eggs and immediately season with the soy sauce, garlic salt, and smoked paprika. Add the butter.
5. Scramble the eggs, lentils, and spinach over medium heat until the butter has fully melted into the eggs, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Transfer the scramble to a large serving platter. Garnish with chervil sprigs, if desired.